The Glory Of Prussia Tour - Six Hour Private Guided Van Tour
- Duration: 6 Hours (approx.)
- Product code: PNKEBJ
Discover the story of a mighty European state that no longer exists – the Kingdom of Prussia. Understand how this defunct power redrew the map of the European continent; became the driving force behind German unification, and the leading state in the German Empire.
Examine the jewel in the Prussia crown – the breathtakingly captivating ensemble of UNESCO World Heritage listed parks and palaces in Potsdam – the former summer residences of the Prussian Kings & German Emperors –join us inside the Golden Cage of the Iron Kingdom.
ABOUT BERLIN EXPERIENCES
With over 17 years experience offering unique historical adventures in Berlin and the surrounding area, our tours are educational, entertaining, and unlike any stuffy academic-led tour you’ve been on before. We believe history is best experienced and understood outside the classroom and should be available for everyone interpid enough to travel.
- Schloss Charlottenburg
- Schloss Sanssouci
- the grave of Frederick the Great
- the Schloss Cecilienhof site of the Potsdam Conference
- the Neues Palais
- the ‘Bridge of Spies’... and much more…
For more than 200 years Berlin served as the capital of a powerful European state that no longer exists – the Kingdom of Prussia.
This ‘Iron Kingdom’ helped redraw the map of the European continent under the reign of Frederick the Great – and following the defeat of Napoleon Bonaparte saw its political and economic influence grow exponentially. Becoming the driving force behind German unification and the leading state in the German Empire from unification in 1871.
Traces of this once glorious Imperial power remain visible across Berlin – but most significantly in an ensemble of opulent royal palaces and parks in the nearby city of Potsdam.
A city of kings and emperors, Potsdam housed Prussia’s royal House of Hohenzollern (lit: ‘High-Taxer’) family on the edge of Berlin until the fall of German imperialism in 1918. While actually older than Berlin as a city settlement by around 300 years, Potsdam only began to rise to importance in the 1600s – with the growing power of Prussia. This city settlement would soon boast its own grand palace, following the acquisition of Potsdam by the Great Elector – Frederick William I – from the aristocratic Hake family.
Now often referred to as Berlin’s equivalent of Versailles, Potsdam has a collection of impressive palaces and gardens – mostly originating in the 18th and 19th centuries. The most famous of which being the Schloss Sanssouci – commissioned by Frederick the Great to act as his philosopher’s retreat away from the pomp and ceremony of the Prussian capital of Berlin.
Although Potsdam did not make it out of the Second World War entirely unscathed, it retains much of its old-world splendour – visible in its luscious lakeside parks, castles, and its charming historical centre. It would also serve in 1945 as the location of the final conference of the war-time Allies – with Soviet Premier Joseph Stalin, British Prime Minister Winston Churchill, and US President Harry S. Truman gathering at the Cecilienhof Palace to conduct 17 days of negotations that would come to define the Cold War landscape – and shape the framework of European and German discourse for decades to come.
Come and join us for a day out in this beautiful city, boasting architectural wonders of Baroque, Rococo & Neo-Classical style. European in the truest sense of the word.
Best experienced during the warmer months – from April until November.
PICKUP & DROP OFF
- This tour can start and finish at your accomodation - or anywhere you would prefer within the city limits
- Starting time we usually recommend as 10am - which gives you the chance to enjoy a relaxed breakfast before your tour starts - although other starting times can also be selected
- Private guided tour in English language with air-conditioned van transportation (Mercedes Benz V-class or Volkswagen Vito) - group size maximum 6 people
- 19% VAT, guide fee, booking fee, admin fee, private transportation and driver costs, and the mandatory German tourism insurances
- Entrance cost for the palaces not included, can be arranged on request - most popular palaces (Sanssouci and Cecilienhof) recommended
- Lunch & Coffee Break Costs
- Gratuities (optional)
- Maximum group size is 6 people
- This tour operates rain or shine - as we say in Germany, there is no such thing as bad weather, just poorly dressed people!
- At least 1 calendar month in advance, full refund
- No refunds for cancellations within one month of the tour
Please use one of the contacts below in case you have a question or an emergency:
- Phone: +49 176299131011
- WhatsApp: +49 176299131011
- E-mail: email@example.com